All things green.....

December 05, 2006

Plastic

Hmmm....funny how sometimes I'll go weeks without posting anything, then suddenly I'll get on a posting spree and I'll post every single day and even more than once in a day....well, not like I'm on a posting spree right now, but that was just an observation. Ok, so, let me just first start by saying I'm in a rather weird mood (i know...SURPRISE!), perhaps it's the Fake Plastic Trees I'm listening to, not that it is a weird song, I just love it so much that I guess it stirs my emotions and then sends me down a path of thinking (oh, and it also makes me think about Bilbo Baggins..yep, it's true)...well, that and the green-ness of the song, I mean, come on, can you get any more green than that song? Oh man, I love that song...I really do. Quite a picture of this consumerist and superficial culture we sometimes (more often than we should) find ourselves in. Gosh, how we need to break free from our superficiality, to break free from those molds we create for ourselves...the molds that are wearing us out. The sad thing is that all of our investing in vanity and materialism is causing us to fall apart physically and spiritually (hey, and I'm totally guilty of it too)...whoooooa, rach...stop....got all negative there for a sec. Obviously, the modern world isn't bad. I'm glad to exist during this time. I'm blessed to be able to experience the benefits of the time and culture in which we live, but "I can't help but feeling, I could blow through the ceiling....and it wears me out. And if I could be who you wanted, all the time."

ALRIGHT...now that I got my Radiohead tangent out of the way (oh, did I mention that they are just about one of the best bands EVER? I didn't? Hmm...well THEY ARE!)...moving on. So, as of yesterday, I am currently un-employed. Yep, it's true. Took a little juant into working land (about a month to be more specific) and decided it wasn't for me...well, actually, that's not true. I am definitely not destined to be a couch dweller forever living off my father's retirement (no worries dad...although I do enjoy our breakfasts at 1134). Actually, to be honest, quite the opposite. I learned a lot from this last job...what did you learn Rach?well...I'll tell you. I learned about what it means to be passionate in your career and in life in general. I learned that I am NOT passionate about money, and probably never will be...I learned that money does absolutely NOTHING to fill you up as a person or to give you purpose. Nothing. Well, I tried to fool myself in the beginning because my potential for growth in this company was great and the company and the job itself were fun, and if I could just give it my all THEN I would get there.....no.

And you know what, I'm not at all saying that money is bad...hardly. Money is something that can be used for great good...I'm not one of those folks that goes around saying money is evil, all I'm saying is that I personally don't desire it. oh yeah, sure I would love to be secure and never have to worry about bills...but what I learned is that it IS NOT necessary for my happiness and selfworth, and I have found, just in people that I have met throughout life with money, that I am no less happy than they are, and no less fulfilled. So, one thing that I was reminded of at this job was that when you chase after your passion, it is then that you are on the right track...because it is then that you are being who you are. There are people at that company that are passionate about it and love it, and I think that's rad. But I was not that person, and for me to be there would have been a waste...a waste of my time and a waste of their money. So really, me leaving was a two way beneficial street. And I'm not saying anything bad about them at all (I was even inspired by them), I'm just saying that I was not the right person for the job...the people that stay there, the people who really love that company and pour themselves into it, those people are the ones who belong there. They are the ones who deserve it's success...not me. I did like the job though...it was fun talking to people and my coworkers were awesome. But yeah, I decided to leave the company and pursue something I feel passionately about...perhaps then I will achieve true success instead of emptiness. So yeah, not exactly sure what I'll be doing, but hey, guess you'll just have to keep reading my blog...something will pop up eventually...hmmm...someone recently asked me if I would ever consider being a groupie for a band...perhaps that's my calling, I mean, that would require a lot of world travel, I could read a lot of books on the plane, hmm...the only thing missing would be the tree hugging, but you know, Chris Martin is really involved in Fair Trade, so that's pretty tree hugger if you ask me...looks like I'm set...Radiohead, Death Cab, Chris Martin...be ready! ;-)

So I was totally going to post an excerpt from a sweet book I'm reading right now, but that would just push this blog over the top as far as length goes, so I'll save that for tomorrow...until then...buenas noches from your green friend, and may you find what it is you're passionate about.

8 Comments:

  • At 6:00 AM PST, Blogger beckalippy said…

    well, you are quite nice, aren't you? hmm... I love you and I love that we share our opinions on money and happiness and the absolute innecesity of one for the other. te quiero y espero que todo vaya bien contigo. Tu hermana, Becka
    PS- I will seeing a hot boy in ViƱa in 2 days... jejeje! I told Timo that I would give the boy a kiss on behalf of Timo and he asked that it not be a french one... jeje.. we'll leave that one for someone else... haha! I am talking way too much now.. I think I should go back to my books. I love you!!!!!!!!!

     
  • At 11:23 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I personally hate money. Especially bc I am in university debt (and credit card debt, but not as much as uni)- so while I don't believe I need money to be happy, I do need it, so that the government doesn't throw me in jail. And I need it for alcohol and Grey's anatomy DVDs, and to pay for internet so that I can email folks.. and for travel.. so my 2 cents are that money is a useful means to many ends..the problem comes when it is the end in and of itself..

    I think it would be fun to be a groupie, I would probably make a great groupie, I am pretty obsessive and like concerts-so maybe I'll join you!! So, what am I passionate about.. I don't really know.. if I knew, then I wouldn't be so confused about career paths.. If I had to name one thing that I am passionate about, I think it would have to be dancing, because most of the time when I am, my little heart and soul wander to another place, and I feel like I would imagine heroine addicts do after shooting up. But I can't make a career of dancing, because I am very short, not a professional dancer, and really don't wanna take off my clothes for old pervy men.. The more I think about it, I think I am mostly passionate about all things that mean pleasure for me ie. dancing, scratchies, vino, and being surrounded by small animals (not that they give me pleasure, but I have pleasure being in their presence)..ohh and watching hot shows like Grey's anatomy so that when my own love life is lacking, I can get an endorphine rush watching those hot doctors being unprofessional... so I think I kind of have the passions of a selfish high school girl..that's OK, I think honesty is the best policy, and I'm not gonna try to say that I have all the answers... the other thing that kinda sucks is that what matters to me can often change pretty quickly..again, high school girl..the ironic thing is that when I was in high school, I hated high schoolers, I kinda still do (generally speaking of course)-does that mean I hate myself? I just don't know..don't you love how I have been using yours and Becka's blogs as a way to go off on tangents about yours truly?!? Again, another example of how I can be selfish- but I'm not hurting anyone right?!?

    So yeah, I am hoping that one of these days, I develop a passion that will allow me to be passionate and make a living at the same time, and it would be nice if I could help some other folks out as well... If any of you think of one for me, pls let me know :)

    Again, so glad you jumped ship Rachie!! now more quality time with me next week!! You are such a little sweetheart, I hope some of your mature, green ways rub off on me! Can't wait!!!!!

     
  • At 2:04 PM PST, Blogger Rach said…

    ALI! I can't wait for you to come! Five more days puppy!!!!!! Oh, and don't you worry, after six months of being around me all day and all night, my green-ness is bound to wear off on you....hmmm...what am I going to get from you, perhaps a passion for dance? Definitely not the love for vino, that's already been established. Veremos mi perrita.....veremos. BESOS!

     
  • At 2:39 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    wow, I'm pretty on top of these blogs when I'm unemployed :) Yeah, it might be more than 6 months afterall- I was helpin my little neighbor write a paper today (actually not so little, 21), but her cousin got accepted to the program I was tellin you about and stuck with it for the full 2 and half years, but she said they placed her in the most ghetto of ghetto schools, and I like that kinda stuff (I thought), but Sammy was tellin me that where her cousin was teaching, the junior high kids were not only getting pregnant all the time, but there were ridiculously violent gang iniciations that would take place inside the school and kids would crack other kids' heads over desks inside this chic's classroom til they were bleeding etc etc.. , (and she used to go home crying), long story short, maybe paralegaling is not so bad afterall, in which case I could just hang in Cali indefinitely!

     
  • At 4:14 PM PST, Blogger Rach said…

    You ARE up on these blogs my little unemployed perrita (right there with ya in unemployment land), oh and I love how we've suddenly decided to take our emails to the public realm. Te quiero! ;-)

     
  • At 6:18 PM PST, Blogger Chris Shotwell said…

    Hey, perhaps you could play bells in Sufjan's magical butterfly brigade (or whatever he calls his orchestra)! I saw him in concert once, so we're pretty much best friends... I'll see if I can hook you up a spot...

     
  • At 9:52 PM PST, Blogger Keith Erickson said…

    Given your (and from the sounds of it both Ali and My) current employment status, I just wanted to take a moment to point out the slightly subliminal double meaning behind your title. Think about it.. SWIPE... ahhh temporary solutions to a permenent dilema.

     
  • At 10:27 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I got an idea! A brillant idea that will solve all your problems. Shaun and I will have a kid! I will pop it out and then you can be are nanny. We can build you a tent like structure in the front yard made of green canvas and we can plant baby trees all around it. We can eat all our meals together and we will give you an allowance for clothes, gas, cds, and books. I think it could work!!! Thank about it and get back to me . . . :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home