All things green.....

November 25, 2006

Neglect

I know! I've been neglecting you my blog readers! I apologize for leaving you hanging these days, but really, I haven't had a lot to fill you in on. That's the truth. Just been working at my new job...people hunting away (I like calling in it that instead of recruiting...more fun). :-) So yeah, been working, meeting new friends at work. I went to church with Natalie (a new friend from work) last week. We went to the Flood here in SD. It was awesome....the pastor spoke about spiritual gifts....seems to be a common theme of all the sermons I've been hearing as of late. I thought of you my becka because I swear this dude has been listening to some Mark. I figured you'd approve. Seriously though, it was awesome to be at that church. To be surrounded by people who all share something with me that is so important. And even though my relationship with God isn't at it's prime, doesn't matter, it was encouraging to be around my brothers and sisters. I'm so going back tomorrow. But yeah, spiritual gifts, interesting stuff. I'm pretty sure I know what mine is, but I have to think about it a bit more. I'd love to hear about yours so email me at rachelrathburn@gmail.com, and tell me!

So, I read Colossians tonight. I'm glad I did. A short book but so wonderful. I especially love Chapter 3 when it talks about what it means to follow Christ in our everyday lives. Here, let me give you just a little bit of it:

"So, as those who have been chosen of God, holy and beloved, put on a heart of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience; bearing with one another, and forgiving each other, whoever has a complaint against anyone; just as the Lord forgave you, so also should you. Beyond all these things put on love, which is the perfect bond of unity. Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body; and be thankful. Let the word of Christ richly dwell within you, with all wisdom teaching and admonishing one another with psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with thankfulness in your hearts to God. Whatever you do in word of deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through Him to God the Father" Col. 3:12-17

Hmmmm....not bad eh? ;-) Or pretty freaking amazing I should say. I love the part about love. I could go off on some normal rachel rant right now, but I'm not going to. One, it's late and my mind is all over the place, and two, God's word can speak for itself. Let me ask you though, how do you see that in your life? How are you "putting on love"? Are you looking at those in need with empathy yet doing nothing about it? Has the Lord placed people in your life that may need you, yet you are too focused on loving yourself (and I'm totally guilty about this) to notice? Listen, I'm not being judgemental or preachy, I'm just pointing out things I've noticed in my life, that's all. Humans (yep, that means all of us) don't have a natural inclination to love selflessly. It's a conscious thing we need to do a lot of the time....so hey, DO IT! It doesn't need to be some huge thing either. You don't need to go on some save the world campaign (although, some of you might be called to that). Just pray that the Lord will open your eyes to how you can actively love those around you more selflessly, and believe me, be prepared to experience Jesus in a beautiful way....it is when we love and love selflessly, that we draw even closer to His heart. I mean, comon...who loves more selflessly than Him right? So, feeling distant from God lately? 1- go read your bible and spend some time with Him, and 2-Go love someone, and really love them. ...then tell me what happens to that distance. Alright, I totally said I wasn't going to rant, and I did just that. Stop rach. I love you all and I'm praying for you even more. May we all be free from ourselfishness to truly love those around us. Goodnight!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home