All things green.....

November 26, 2006

Don't ignore this

"When the son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit on the throne of his glory. All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats, and he will put the sheep at his right hand and the goats at the left. Then the king will say to those at his right hand, 'Come, you that are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world; for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you gave me clothing, I was sick and you took care of me, I was in prison and you visited me.' Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when was it that we saw you hungry and gave you food, or thirsty and gave you something to drink? And when was it that we saw you a stranger and welcomed you, or naked and gave you clothing? And when was it that we saw you sick or in prison and visited you?' And the king will answer them, 'Truly I tell you, just as you did it to one of the least of these who are members of my family, you did it to me.' Then he will say to those at his left hand, 'You that are accursed, depart from me into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels; for I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not give me clothing, sick and in prison and you did not visit me.' Then they also will answer, 'Lord, when was it that we saw you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not take care of you?' Then he will answer them, 'Truly I tell you, just as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me.' And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life."
Matthew 25:31-46

Hmmm....does it seem like Jesus took the issue of poverty and how we treat the hungry seriously? I think so......something to think about: Almost half the world.....two billion people....live on less than $2 per day, and one billion people live on less than $1 a day. About 30,000 children die every single day from utterly preventable causes....hunger, diseases due to hunger, unsafe drinking water, etc..things that we could change if we just wanted to.....shosh told me just the other day "what lights a room better? one big candle or a million small birthday candles? You don't have to go do some huge thing...just one little candle at a time makes a difference." Don't be discouraged, those of you that feel the Lord calling you to love the poor more than yourselves, more than your own comfort...(and you don't have to be a genius to notice in the bible, that means all of us), doing even one little thing makes a difference. I pray that I will be taking steps in my own life to not ignore poverty any longer. And for all of you who are doing this, who are going out there and loving them with all you can, I praise God for you and continue to pray for you.

Yes, go out there and preach the gospel in word and in truth BUT do it in your actions as well.

May the Lord bless you all my dear sweet family and friends.

3 Comments:

  • At 7:36 AM PST, Blogger beckalippy said…

    you know... there are alot of poor people who would love someone to give them food right here in Chile... :)
    I love you and I love hearing from you.

     
  • At 12:01 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm right there with you Bono, keep that heart in the right place and be a doer! I got your message, I will call ya today, sorry this weekend was WEDDING CENTRAL, i had sis and cousin's engagement parties,outta control- but I will tell ya about everything via tele- miss you!!!!!

     
  • At 7:46 PM PST, Blogger Chris Shotwell said…

    Great post, Rach

    Unfortunately, Christians who focus too much on Paulene theology often let themselves off the hook from actually doing anything positive, saying, "Christ is doing all that in my place." They don't realize that Jesus meant what he said and they go on making lots of money and putting it in a bank account and investing in the stock market so they can retire comfortably. Well, according to Jesus, they're going to the fiery pit even though Paul tells them that they're going to heaven despite never giving a penny to the poor. That's the danger of reformation theology: it's inherently self-seeking and has been neutered of the social message that Jesus so forcefully proclaimed.

    "What can Jesus do for you today?"

     

Post a Comment

<< Home