All things green.....

December 12, 2006

New Yorkers and The Garbage Ball

Hello hello friends and family. I have returned from the land of green hills (well, not Scotland or Ireland, but the green hills of Cali I guess is more accurate). That's right, I'm back from San Luis Obispo. Such a happy little place that is....I always have a hard time driving away after a few days spent chillin at Uptown or enjoying some Tahoe Joe's frozen goodness. Didn't have a job to come back to this time, but definitely had something better. That's right, my little New Yorker, Ali flew in on Monday. I was SOOOOO happy to see that puffy white jacket standing next to the luggage thingy (yes, thingy). But before I fill you in on the EVENTFUL day we've had here in SD, I'll just update you on my little weekend get-a-way in SLO town. I went up there on Thursday where I met my fave curley haired friend Erin at Uptown Coffee Shop. We then went out to dinner with Rachael (yes, there is another one) and had some FANTASTIC curry. After that Erin and I decided to take a trip back to our high school days....we went to the video store and rented two of the most HIGH SCHOOL CHICK movies EVER (you know...the usual plot about a nerdy girl being made over then becoming popular only to win the affections of the hottest guy in school...come on, we've all seen them). We then went to the grocery store and purchased about one of every chocolate thing they had there (I don't know if I've ever mentioned this, but Flips are just about the greatest things to ever enter the world of junk food...absolutely DELICIOUS!!!! especially when accompanied with some fantastic Pinot Noir...sigh..yum). Then we went home and forced her husband to join us in our little jaunt into the past (lucky guy...forced to watch high school chick movies and eat chocolate...the woes of being married). Thursday night, done and satisfied...awesome time. Then on Friday I had the Garbage Man's Ball to go to with my fave wanderer Shosh (aka. keith or keifers at times). It was this little bash that was thrown by all the garbage companies in SLO county....two open bars, big buffet (although not so vegetarian friendly). and THREE desert tables, yes three....not bad for a "trashy" shindig (hahahaha). We dressed up all snazzy-like and wooed the garbage masses with our rare attempt at "formal" attire, and I must say, we pulled it off. Shosh, I saw all those women eye-ing you (hmm...must have been the haircut..hehe). After that, we walked over to....yes...that's right...Tahoe Joes. Yes yes, those of you who know me well, know just how much I LOVE their margaritas...there are none like them. HOWEVER just the other day I discovered a close second at this place down the street from my house here in Coronado called Costa Azul. Not the same, but a nice little substitute. Ok, so on Saturday I spent the day with Erin....we went to an AWESOME movie, and if you want to be inspired to fall in love, I recommend you go see it....it's called The Holiday. Absolutely LOVED it...yep, total romantic mushy movie...and yes, I did cry ( I KNOW....first a dress, then tears...this is the weekend of non-rachelness!). Then we went to CPK and took a nice little stroll (or should i say swim) in the rain on the way to the car. We headed over to Liz's engagement party which was so awesome. It was so great to see Liz and the look on her face when she walked in and saw all her friends there to celebrate with her. I'm so happy for her and Brian and can't wait to stand up there next to her when they say their vows. CONGRATS my sweet friend! So yes, another night of success in SLO. Then on Sunday I headed over to my fave church Calvary SLO. It was so wonderful to be there...I felt like I was at home. I love the people there, and the teaching is awesome...I don't know, I guess I've been feeling a slight hint of loneliness since I've moved to San Diego, and being there at that church made it more clear, but it also made me excited for the church family that I will find in SD later on. I've been going to the Flood in Kearney Mesa, and so far, am loving it. I know that God has a place for me like Calvary SLO, I guess I just miss it sometimes. So after church I spent some time at Uptown yet again and then helped Erin and Shaun pick out their first Christmas tree together.....we headed home, ate pizza, made paper chains and watched yet ANOTHER girly movie (lucky shaun). Then after that we continued with some snowflake making and Damien Rice listening...who, has a new cd out called Nines...which is GREAT! and would make an AWESOME christmas gift for someone who absolutely ADORES Damien Rice..hmmmmmm....who could that be? (wink wink) It was so wonderful to spend so much time with Erin this weekend, she truly is like a sister to me, and looking back on our friendship is a blessing because I can see how she has played a huge part in making me a better person (I love relationships like that because then you know they are right and exactly what they should be). So yeah, after one more night in SLO I hopped in my car on Monday morning and started the trek back to SD. Such a beautiful drive from SLO to Santa Barbara, I was totally distracted by all the green and then had a little bit of Oasis and some Snow Patrol blasting in the background...almost perfect. After five-ish hours in the car, I made it home, took a long nap, then headed over to the airport to pick up Ali. We came home, had some dinner with my dad, and then went to sleep. Oh, and Ali totally fell in love with my cat Bennie....that is a MUST for anyone wanting to be close to me! she passed. :-) Today we just spent the day walking around Coronado and the gas lamp. And now we are back at home....Ali is sleeping on the couch (yeah, and it's totally only 8:15....I guess I'll cut her some slack since she's still on New York time), Ben is sleeping on the table (as usual, and yes, I have no discipline). Then there's me, being a blogging nerd. On that note, time for me to get going. Oh, and just to give you some illustrations to go along with this riveting blog, click HERE for some pics from the weekend. I love you all and God bless!!!!

9 Comments:

  • At 10:41 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yes Rachie, pls cut me some slack for being on NY time and probably more walking around and sun than I have been accostomed to in the last month- it can wear a New Yorker out!! It is kinda strange because I am writing this and you are on the other couch, so I could just tell you.. but I guess I don't want your mention of me in the blog to have been in vain.. a short but sweet comment is in order, so here it is.. I am short and you are sweet, and your blog is cool and so are Bennie and your pops (will that suffice?) I love your pics, you look like a sexy bubble gum dream come true in your pink dress- keith you look pretty dapper yourself.. erin, I like the snowflake technique, I still make those guys too..I like to add some shimmery eyeshadow to add some texture (I am quite artistic huh).. OK, I am sorry, I swear little rachie tomorrow I will be more hyper active when I have adjusted to this Cali time.. LOVE YA!!!!!!!!

    sincerely,

    the girl who will be sleepin next to ya tonight ;)

     
  • At 10:18 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I totally have to come clean . . . I teared up reading your blog. I miss you, you are definitely at least my sister. I know we are related that is the only way to explain how much I miss you when you are not near me. I can't wait for you to be here this weekend!!! I love you my silly green goddess. xoxo

     
  • At 10:59 PM PST, Blogger Keith Erickson said…

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     
  • At 11:02 PM PST, Blogger Keith Erickson said…

    Wow thank's Ali for the dapper shout out. It was great to see you last weekend Rach, as it also was this weekend. Hope your week goes well! I'm a little upset that you didn't tell me when those older women were eyeing me as I could use a more financially secure benefactor. Next time don't hesitate to call them out.

    Buen dia a tu mi amiga. Yo espero ver tu pronto, pero no sabo cuando.; Porque no estas aqui? Es un pinche puta de un insatisfactorio situacion. Necicito Rach pero Rach no esta aqui. Keith no esta allegra. Usted no desea saber qué sucede cuando Keith no es allegra. No es bueno. Es verdad Rach. No es bueno.

     
  • At 6:03 PM PST, Blogger Carleigh said…

    rauchito! sounds like you are enjoying yourself quite a bit. glad to hear things are well. i feel like im missing out - seeing erin, congrats liz, hello keith, welcome ali....

     
  • At 7:18 AM PST, Blogger Ken Kienow said…

    So Rachel, are you enjoying Sufjan's Christmas box set? It not, CHECK DIS OUT!!!!!:

    http://www.asthmatickitty.com/suf_xmas/suf_xmas.php

    Hope things are going well down in SD.

     
  • At 7:19 AM PST, Blogger Ken Kienow said…

    Wait, there should be one more "p" at the end of that link....it should be:

    http://www.asthmatickitty.com/suf_xmas/suf_xmas.php

     
  • At 7:20 AM PST, Blogger Ken Kienow said…

    DANG IT IT CHOPPED THE P AGAIN! Ok, just put a "p" at the end of the link. :)

     
  • At 12:47 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am willing to admit this only because you did it first: I totally saw the Holiday and cried as well. It was an awesome moment of girly-ness.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home