All things green.....

August 26, 2006

My First day of Preschool

Hi! Well, as you can tell from the title of this blog, I had my first day of preschool (yes, it´s preschool, I know i´ve said kindergarten at times, but it has now been confirmed). It was a pretty good day. It started out with me and Becka SQUISHED in a micro (bus). Seriously, they just CRAM people in those things. And there nothing like being crammed in a bus (standing of course) with a driver that seems to pass the time by pretending his participating in some road rally. I swear, it seemed like the buses were actually racing eachother. The bus system is crazy, people will literally run out into the middle of a busy street to wave down a bus, causing the bus to stop, not pull over and stop, but just stop....Catching the bus is like an adventure. Rachel...queen of the phrase "no te entiendo" and expert hunter of micros (some animals, you just can´t tame). Anyways, we were on the micro, decided to get off because we had been on our way to an english lesson of becka´s and it got canceled. We then made a stop on a starbucks wannabe called Starlight Coffee, which is where I had my first real latte made from real beans in a real (jeje) LONG time (instant coffee is the rage here)....all I can say is that was a special moment...yes, it really was.

We then caught a different bus to Renca, which is where the preschool is. We were on the bus for about 1.5 hours, which was ok, it wasn´t as crowded and we could actually sit down. When we got to Renca we just walked a little ways to the school, and started working. We basically just did whatever needed to be done. Cleaning, etc.....It was quite an experience being in Renca. I´ve seen poverty before, but everytime I do, it still hits me. Renca is one of the poorest areas in Santiago. I was advised to not take more than enough money for the busride home because the chances of being robbed in broad daylight are higher than not getting robbed. No worries though, the bus stop is literally right next to the school, and the school has a huge fence around it that can only be unlocked by the teachers inside. No one gets in or out with the teachers letting them. To see an area like this hurt my heart, and even worse was to see the children. When you touch the children´s hair you have to be careful because when you only shower about once a month, bugs (lice, fleas) and dirt tend to build up. Or, when we feed the children lunch we have to sit with them and motivate them to eat, sometimes even feeding them like toddlers (you know, the whole airplane thing) because they aren´t used to eating. They aren´t USED to eating. Some of these kids live in houses made of cardboard or scrap wood that only have one mattress on the dirt for all 6 siblings. It killed me to see these children, just like other children, playing the same games, acting up in the same way, being normal children, yet living in these surroundings. I´m so glad for that school. It´s free for them and they get fed two free (healthy) meals. They get to learn and socialize, and also get taught about Jesus. The coolest thing was before lunch. We went around the group and each child got to pray for whatever they wanted. It was so sweet to hear them pray in those cute voices and in spanish....hearing prayer in spanish is awesome....I´m obviously not used to that. I love that God has no language barriers. None at all....it also reminded me of the fact that even when I can´t find the right words or even the words to pray, that God hears and knows and answers anyway. So, yes, school was sad but awesome at the same time. The people that run the school travel for at least an hour every day to help these children, and not only that, they pay for their bus tickets out there. After school, around 2, the lead teacher then leaves to go teach preschool at another school for the rest of the day so that she can make a living. All followers of Christ and dedicated to loving those in need. What an encouragment. If you could keep these people and this school and these children in your prayers that would be awesome. Pray that the Lord would bless them and their dedication, and that also they would remain safe. I ask for you prayers with my safety as well. It´s not the best area and I don´t necessarily blend in (the whole gringa thing). Don´t worry (parents) it´s not that bad, just pray for me, and just think, those kids actually live in those conditions, with those dangers. Thanks for your prayers!!!!!

So, after school, we took the bus back and practiced spanish the whole way home. We then cooked dinner for some people from church (I actually made some pretty tasty pasta sauce from scratch...that´s right, attempting to embrace the chef that I know is in there somewhere).After la cena, we went to youth group at the church. It was fun...the lesson was in spanish, ,so I didn´t exactly get all of it, but it didn´t matter, I´m really beginning to like the whole praying spanish thing. The only hang up I had was when I (the new person) had to introduce and talk about myself to the whole group in spanish. I have a hard enough time talking in front of people in english, but I did ok..."hola...um....soy rachel...soy de estados unidos y vivo con ashlee y rebecca...y...lo quiero Jesus...jeje...y a veces, pues, casi siempre no te entiendo" That was about it. It really was great though. We were studying John and talking about how Jesus is the vine (vid) ande we are the branches. And how we must remain in Him. I love that phrase...remain in Him. Jesus takes us, draws us to himself, and keeps us there. I love it. I love how I can come to a different country and feel like I have family here. The body of Christ is really great...espcially when you realize that it´s worldwide. After that we just hung out and then went home, ate yet another empañada, and went to bed. speaking of bed, it´s that time for me now...especially since I´m sure your eyes have just about had it with my typing. Thanks for your patience in reading my blog...I love you all of course!!! You are in my prayers constantly and I look forward to experiencing yours. Ciao!!

2 Comments:

  • At 6:45 AM PDT, Blogger Keith Erickson said…

    Hey Rach,
    I really like your pictures too! I hope all is well there. The internet is so slow I just looked at the thumbnails though.. I'm going to dubai this weekend. I'll check them out there.

    It's crazy, I'm not really sure where the "slums" are here. Perhaps it the whold absolute vs. relative poverty thing. Bhalo Ache (I am well)... the frequency of meeting really awesome people over here is much higher then that I experience in the US... honestly an amazing experinece... Oh and I think you'd appreciate the call to prayers.. I'll try to post a video with some sound.. Stay well.
    - Keith

     
  • At 4:14 PM PDT, Blogger Lara Nichols said…

    your description of the children that go to the preschool brought tears to my eyes....

     

Post a Comment

<< Home