All things green.....

February 07, 2006

Making an Ass out of me



First of all, I realize that my blogs recently have been others' words...I guess I've just been reading a lot of great things lately, and haven't felt like writing much recently...that does not mean I haven't been thinking, although it's nice to take a break from that at times as well. Anyways, there is this blog that I often frequent: http://onehouse.blogs.com/onehouse/ I find great joy in reading this blog and really appreciate much of what the author has to say. I was reading it the other day and I came across a posting that I liked ("liked" does not necessarily mean "agreed with"...although, I very well might agree...who knows?..I appreciate your opinions always though...especially my beloved chilena!!!). So, I thought I'd post that posting as one of my postings (hehe)...giving credit where credit is due of course. Thanks Onehouse, for opening my mind a bit further!!!! Enjoy......

Making an ass out of me.

I have heard many a direction put down as idealism. A few years ago, I tried to have a conversation with a prolific author who shot down everything I said with, "That? Why that's just warmed over reformed tradition." and "That? That's just the holiness movement." and "That? Why would you want to talk about that? That's small "s" spirituality."

One of my favorite responses came from a pastor of a large church. I asked about the possibility of postmodern influences on his congregation: "That? Oh yeah, our staff read a book about that. We decided not to believe it."

"Don't assume. It makes an ass out of you and me." True enough.

Perspectives should be a bit of salt in the mix rather than the whole enchilada. Here are some things I don't assume:

- that exploring the contemplative life means sitting in a corner and thinking about my life all the time.
- that someone pursuing the contemplative is enamored with a romantic notion of the past simply because the past plays a part in the daily.
- that believing in reading and study means someone could not possibly be a spontaneous or mosaic thinker.
- that being open to mystery leaves me closed to discipline and intention.
- that old or new, bigger or smaller, alone or together, single or married is better.
- that talking is progress and discussion is always valid.
- that prayer always involves words
.- that silence is always holy.
- that green things don't speak.
- that saying the above means I'm going to hell and I must be an animist.
- that Romans is better than the Psalms, that analysis speaks louder than poetry, that pictures are better than words. And vice versa.
- that commentary is good critique.
- that visible frustration means I am not at peace.
- that walking away from something means I don't love it. Maybe I love it too much to watch it keep using that name in vain.
- that choosing a certain direction means you are closed to all others.
- that any life can be flicked away with a "That? Why that's just..." If someone quickly brushes you off their sleeve, it doesn't make you a piece of lint. You may just be a bright thread and they think the whole piece of fabric must look like their color.

God bless you my friends. Comment if you feel so inclined, or even if you want to say hello and that you miss me, and that you can't wait for me to fly down there and visit you...hmm...might be tailoring this message to one person inparticular...hehe...ella sabe que yo la amo mucho!!!!!!!

1 Comments:

  • At 11:52 AM PST, Blogger beckalippy said…

    Thats me, thats me, thats me!
    I think you just like this article because it says that green things talk!
    Only 18 days to go!!!!
    Y te echo de menos mucho y no puedo esperar por el dia cuando llegas!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home